Sports are an important part of the lives of most children in the United States.
Atlanta’s under-served children are at risk as is the case in most urban low-income areas. Although the inner city schools receive more money per child than the state average, the exposure to drugs, weapons, and poverty in the community gives little hope for the success of these children. A Youth Development Survey showed that both school-based and out-of-school activities, such as athletic opportunities, present chances for inner-city teenagers to be involved in pro-social activities with peers. Clinical studies show that sports and recreation programs can help youth establish lifelong, healthy, physical activity patterns.
The children in the city’s core must have the opportunity for a successful start in education and sports regardless of age, race, gender, family composition, income or community. Only 38 percent of boys and 22 percent of girls have the opportunity to take part in high school sports in Atlanta, Georgia. In response to this significant disparity, Steps of Purpose has created a program to provide the equipment, uniforms and funding necessary to create and sustain sports programs for inner-city students in Atlanta, Georgia. This will provide an opportunity for inner-city and rural students to have healthy and proper athletic development prospects for organized sports and physical training as well as keeping them out of harm’s way.
- To increase participation in youth sports and athletic training for the young
- To increase youth access to health care and healthy development
- To be able to assist 12 Inner-City Schools through sponsorship and sports equipment during Year 1
- To assist 42 Inner-City Schools by Year 5
- To reach $73,200 in proceeds by the end of Year 1
- To reach $368,400 in proceeds by the end of Year 5
- To apply for a minimum of 2 Government Grants and/or Federal/State Funding sources per year
The mission of Steps of Purpose is to provide under-served youth in inner-city and rural schools with an opportunity to gain athletic experience, teamwork skills, and healthy development through Community donations of funding, gear and equipment.